There are four elements - earth, fire, air and water. In Greek mythology, Undines, also called Ondines, represent one of the four elements. Undines are water elements or water nymphs.
1. Legend says an Undine can't gain a soul unless it marries a man and gets pregnant.
2. Although beautiful, once an Undine falls in love and bears a man's child, she ages like a mortal, losing her beauty like a mortal would. Ondine, in European folklore, loses her beauty after she marries Palemon. When Palemon develops a wandering eye, Ondine curses her cheating husband to stop breathing if he ever falls asleep again - known as Ondine's Curse.
3. Ondine's Curse is the historical name for Congenital Central Hypoventilation Syndrome (CCHS), a serious form of sleep apnea.
4. An Undine appears as a human female but can also appear as a fish or a snake.
5. Undines are found in forest pools and waterfalls
The Phoenixian Book of Creatures
The Goddess Ondine and The Curse
Love zombies? Love vampires? Then you'll really love Zxxtergins! My horror/paranormal novella Litria - The M Series: Book One is on sale now!
Note: If you don't own a Kindle, download the Free Kindle App to read eBooks on your Android phone or tablet, iPad, iPhone, PC, Mac, Blackberry, or Windows Phone 7.
(Fellow monster lovers, pretty please, leave a two or three sentence review at Amazon or Goodreads! Reviews help authors. Thanks much!)
* * *
Follow Jolie on Facebook
Follow Jolie on Twitter